[permaculture] Another poll

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Fri Oct 13 00:43:31 EDT 2006

Keith:
At least you didn't use red font.  That'll be the last time I try that
'stream of consciousness' thing...  when I take the time to make a
digestible copy I'll be sure to send it your way.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/Pricing.asp
The preceding site provides a free service where subscribers can create
a web accessible survey.  The free service is limited to 10 questions
and 100 respondents.

Do I garden? Yes.

Are you a freeholder? Yes.  I recently sold a 7000 square foot urban lot
and bought a 1 acre lot in 5 acre/unit rural sprawl outside
Olympia-Lacey-Tumwater, WA (pop. ~85,000).

Are you making complex polycultures?
I am in the design and site prep phase of the following systems:
4000 s.f. of irrigated and mulched mixed tree and shrub fruits.
8000 s.f. of un-irrigated hedgerow modeled after our native forest edge
(Hazelnut, willow osiers, salal, cane berries, mushrooms)
6000 s.f. of un-irrigated grassland modeled after Puget Sound outwash
prairie focusing on flowers, roots, and medicinals.
3000 s.f. of rotating chicken forage
4000 s.f. of row crops
8000 s.f. of pasture managed primarily to supply biomass to develop the
preceding systems.
another 3000 s.f. of intensive permanent mulch kitchen garden.
The current work is mostly seed collecting, cutting propagation, cover
cropping, and initial woody plantings, and finding sources of nutritious
organic matter to import.

Aquaculture? No.  Household greywater reuse is my priority for improving
the water system.

grow for market? No, I have better options for trading labor for cash at
this point.  I tend to give things away.

nursery? I have around 2 years work experience in nursery management for
medicinal herbs and ornamentals.  I studied adventitious rooting of
native shrubs for my Masters work, and so am a big fan of planting
un-rooted cuttings.

landscaper? I have12 seasons of experience in ornamental horticulture
and ecological restoration with just a dab of farming.

designer/consultant? I have a range of experience in landscape design,
environmental consulting, and environmental education.  I currently
design revegetation projects focusing on wetlands and riparian systems,
and provide pro bono workshops for local  'watershed steward' training
programs.  It could be interesting to get these folks a permaculture module.

rock powder? Mostly limestones (ag lime and dolomite blends),
sedimentary greensand and rock phosphate, as commercially sold by the
organic fertilizer industry.

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA, USA