[permaculture] Landscape Architecture

Paul Cereghino paul.cereghino at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 02:36:44 EDT 2006

May be semantic but I don't think so... I don't know a scientists that
complete quantitative studies on "ecosystems"...more typically we'd
analyze bits and pieces, then through some elaborate conceptual model
infer system behavior.  Similarly there are many sources of quantitative
research that can be used to analyze and infer the functions of bits and
pieces of permaculture systems (between agriculture, forestry,
restoration ecology, ecosystem research, vegetation ecology, and
agroforestry journals).  But quantitative research "on permaculture" is
kind of tricky, as "permaculture" in the conversatinoal realm is a vague
concept of convenience, half political, and science is interested more
in things and what they are doing.
http://www.rngr.net/Publications/tpn/index_html?volno=on
http://ecologicalrestoration.info/backissues.asp
... and then there is that Bill Mollison guy, but I think he stopped
doing research...

Regarding the MLA - i turned away from that path in favor of science
training - no regrets -- I appreciate the analytical methods.

I think we ought to be careful to differentiate between professional
certifications, skill sets, and a business models.  "landscape
architect" is pretty vague in terms of skill set and business model, and
is primarily a professional certification.  It is easy to be a LA and do
permaculture, just like its easy to be a mechanic or a street sweeper
and do permaculture... it is harder to develop a viable business model,
and LA training likely will not give you a permaculture skill set, but
it does give you skills that help you present complex ideas, like
permaculture... I'd just be clear on what kind of specific contacts and
skills you are expecting to get out of a MLA program and then carefully
check to see if that 'ole ivory tower can deliver, or if you are after a
business model... generate some business models and then determine the
credentials necessary to implement in your market of interest.

MY QUESTION IS -- If you wanted a scientist to quantitatively test some
hypothesis about permaculture, what exactly would it be?!

Paul Cereghino, Olympia, WA -- card carrying M.S.