[permaculture] ||Double-Digging - NOT

Don ujgs at 4dirs.com
Tue May 30 20:42:27 EDT 2006

Hey Folks,
I have heavy clay soils here in Mesa,AZ and I used to dig twice a year to
prep for the spring and fall.
Now I do NOT dig...I tickle the surface enouth to prep for seeds and that's
it.

I "Do no harm" to the living organisms and the biodiverse system that does
the work for me...I replace the compost, plant worms, spray EM's, and use
boards to stay off the soil and limit compaction. This allows the soil
organisms to do the work for me "I can sit on the patio couch (mollison
technique) knowing I set up the system to be more sustainable"

My veggie bed is raised 6 inches, 20x20, spray irrigation (to volitate the
chlorine from my tap water), org fert w/ em's, and then rotate the chickens
in the bed!!!

My seeds come up the same, my yields are the same and my Chiropractor gets
less $$$.

Don Titmus, Four Directions PermaCulture.
Mesa, AZ.