[permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Is it really organic???]

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon May 22 17:15:52 EDT 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Is it really organic???
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:37:46 -0400
From: Tropp, Debra <Debra.Tropp at USDA.GOV>
To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi all--

Just to add some clarification to this discussion, posted below is the
official word I received from my colleagues at the USDA National Organic
Program about standards for imported organically-labeled product
marketed in the U.S.  Please contact Mark Bradley at
Mark.Bradley at usda.gov if you have any further questions about the issue.

Sincerely,

Debra Tropp, Team Leader
Market Channel and Postharvest Research & Development
Marketing Services Branch
Transportation and Marketing Division
USDA Agricultural Marketing Service
1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Room 2949-South
Washington, DC 20250
Phone:  202-720-8326
Fax: 202-690-0031
E-mail:  Debra.Tropp at usda.gov

"USDA standards for organic are expected to be followed by all certified
operations and a USDA accredited certifying agent is expected to ensure
that the certified operation is adhering to the standards--that's what
we license a certifying agent to do when we accredit them.  No
certifying agent should permit their logo or mark to go on a product
that does not meet the USDA organic standards--both they and the
certified operation risk losing their certification and accreditation by
failing to adhere to the U.S. standards.  Anyone who has any concerns
about a product or a certifying agent should contact the NOP offices in
Washington, D.C. and an inquiry or investigation, if warranted, will be
made."

--Mark Bradley
Associate Deputy Administrator for the National Organic Program