[permaculture] fireplace ash

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Mon May 22 11:01:28 EDT 2006

Thomas,
To clarify, wood ash is not a "poison", but rather, caustic, ie very
alkaline. This is why previous writers have suggested light dustings.
Clients of mine killed many of their plants by indiscriminately dumping
bucketsfull in the landscape (especially since they were dumping it on
azaleas and rhododendrons which like acid soil). I, too, have found that
using it  in SLIGHTLY larger amounts for onions, brassicas and other
heavy feeders can be beneficial. A little, e.g 2 cups in a 4 x 4 x 4
compost pile sprinkled in very thin layers as you build, can be
beneficial. It helps repel slugs, too (like putting salt on them).

If your garden is too small to utilize the volume you produce, scatter
it elsewhere (in a forest?), or consider some of the other uses suggested.
Keith

--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine