[permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

Stephanie Gerson sgerson at stanfordalumni.org
Sat May 20 13:04:23 EDT 2006

hi folks, sorry have not read any of the posts thus far except for Tom's
because was busily typing an enormous paper of which one paragraph i think
would fit here nicely.  please excuse repetition of any already-had
discussion:

"The most salient theme of traditional ecological knowledge (TEK) studies, in
my opinion, is the emerging realization that indigenous peoples have not only
been a part of their ecosystems, but integral to them.  Natural resource
managers in California are acknowledging that the loss of so-called native
California ecosystems is actually a result of the loss of indigenous
management practices, while some tropical ecologists question whether the
entire Amazonian jungle is the product of centuries of cultivation (Anderson,
2005).  A place without people becomes a people-less place.  Traditional
ecological systems can therefore be understood as necessarily
socio-ecological.  This begets the need to reconsider the notions of
‘surrounding’ and ‘primary’ rainforest in the Lacandon selva, and
whether they are useful for characterizing Lacandon agroforestry.  This
further bears implications for the preservation, conservation, or restoration
of formerly indigenously managed landscapes.  And, it suggests that there is
no difference between ‘deep’ and ‘shallow’ ecology when humans are
integral to their ecosystems (notably, not so far from indigenous
understandings of their relationship with the earth), implicating the very
notions of preservation, conservation, and restoration, along with
environmental protection in general."

ps that would be "Tending the Wild" by Kat Anderson - definite read if you're
interested