[permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

Jerome Rigot rigot.3 at osu.edu
Fri May 19 09:57:54 EDT 2006

Hi Marjory,

Your conclusions are not very optimistic.

But I am wondering how real they are, as it seems to me that they are
not really taking into account the adaptability of humans and the
power of community. If we look at the Cuba example, when peak oil
(due to the loss of Soviet oil) suddenly fell upon the island in
1990, people not only survived, but thrived (check
http://www.communitysolution.org/ for additional info and for the video).

Havana is a large city, probably over 1 million people, and according
to your conclusions, it should not have been able to sustain the
people inhabiting the city. But they were sustained, and one way
people were able to survive was by developing community gardens,
square-foot gardens, container gardens, roofs gardens, etc... all
over the city, creating a local urban agriculture and local urban economy.

So, would this be impossible to happen in Texas?

Jerome