[permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

Sean Maley semaley at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 09:53:36 EDT 2006

--- Ethan X <livetrii at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point                           Wednesday, May 17 2006 @
> 10:35 AM PDT
> Contributed by: arch_stanton

Neat trick being chicken little and the ostrich at the same time.

1st side of coin:  Too many people
2nd side of coin:  Not enough food

3rd side:
  http://www.ishmael.com/Education/Writings/kentstate.shtml

There is too much food, which is why there are too many people (Malthus).  The poor go hungry
because the food is locked up (Quinn), unless they have a buddy with the keys or are willing to
toil away in the metaphorical fields for 60hr/week/person (George).  I'm sure the first
agriculturalists toiled away so hard in their fields that they must of felt like they "owned" it.
With the surplus finally achieved, they must have felt strongly about protecting it.  As the soil
quality declined, they must have felt compelled to find more land to meet the demands of their
growing population.

So here we are, no more good land to swipe from the natives.  Now that's a fine mess we got
ourselves into.  Oh yeah, the person holding the key (government) to the food storage must have an
unfair advantage in this economics game that leaves the rest of us toiling away in the fields.
Then again, the people who own the fields must have it good, too, albeit in a relative sense.
However, Hamiltonian economic policy left us with large corporations owning the government
("Arator" by John Taylor), which was also a neat trick.

-Sean.