[permaculture] permaculture - Biofuel Illusion

Ben Martin Horst ben.martinhorst at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 02:44:34 EDT 2006

Just a clarification of terms for the sake of clear discussion:

Anthropologists use the term "forager" to describe a system in which
people come across food and eat it as they
 find it. Presumably our early ancestors (australopithecines and maybe
Homo erectus, ergaster, and neandertalensis) used this strategy, and
while it's possible that early members of Homo sapiens used it as well,
there is no record of any historical culture using this method.

"Hunting-gathering," on the other hand, refers to a subsistence pattern
in which people go out and find food, then bring it back to a homesite
for storage and distribution. The operative word is "gathering:" hunting
occupies a high status position in many of these societies, but it's the
gathering of plants, fungi, insects, shellfish, etc. that provides the
majority of the diet. They often use elaborate food preservation
techniques, including fermenting and drying. Historically,
anthropologists have assumed that these groups didn't actively plant
anything, but there's a rapidly growing body of evidence that these
groups have actively manipulated their environments to a radical degree,
including intentional encouragement of certain species. This type of
participation in the ecosystem simply wasn't apparent to Western
anthropologists steeped in agricultural tradition, though I have a hunch
that permaculturists doing anthropological fieldwork among many of these
people would immediately recognize many of the practices agriculturists
were blind to.

-Ben