[permaculture] permaculture - Biofuel Illusion

Ben Martin Horst ben.martinhorst at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 18:07:05 EDT 2006

Scott Pittman wrote:
> Why is it that no one wants to talk about moving to a more simple life
> style?  People had it pretty good in the 18th and 19th century without
> all the petroleum, the problem then, as now, was political ineptitude
> and greed leading to nationalistic war over territory and natural
> resources.
Amen. However, I think it's important that we not over-idealize the
immediate pre-petroleum period. Many of the problems we currently face
existed then as well, simply minus the petroleum. For instance, whereas
today we use electricity to light our homes, in the 19th century much of
Europe used whale oil, leading to a predictable and disastrous
population crash among whales from which no cetacean species has fully
recovered. And instead of using gasoline and diesel to power
transportation and industry, the 19th century world used coal. We'd
still be facing global warming crises even if nobody had started pumping
petroleum. And, as you allude to, colonial wars of the period led to
people having it "pretty good" only in the colonizing nations. 18th and
19th century agrarian and industrial societies were destroying the world
every bit as much as modern ones are, though not at quite the same pace.

If we're going to idealize a historical subsistence pattern, than let it
be that of all the hunter-gather and horticultural groups that comprised
the totality of humanity until roughly 10,000 years ago, and continue to
exist in a few places at present. Their effects on overall biomass and
biodiversity were/are almost always nil to positive; their people
consistently happier than any other type of society, and with the
possible exception of modern industrial society, always healthier than
any other; their lives ones of more leisure than any agricultural or
industrial society.

Our challenge as permaculturists is to translate the tactics and
strategies of such venerable peoples into ones useful in the modern
context. A world of a few hundred thousand people is a very different
place from a world of several billions.

Ben