[permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Mon Dec 18 14:57:13 EST 2006

neshura wrote:

> As an additional comment though, there are not a lot of companies that
> will give you shared server space to *develop* a db-driven
> application. Since you won't be able to tell a hosting company that
> your app is production-ready, chances are high that you will need to
> run your own server in a colo, and that is substantially more
> expensive. Definitely try to find someone who will donate space that
> doesn't violate the TOS if you are messing around restarting apache or
> postgres or upgrading from CPAN or whatever.

We already have a web account on ibiblio where we can get the project started:
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture
I have a page there but will remove it to make way for pcdb.

We can use this until we decide on a name and/or have a .org domain, which we can also have hosted
at ibiblio.

So, we are ready to go. All that needs to be done is for participants to get ibiblio login accounts.
Send email to help at ibiblio.org for that. We should send the admins at ibiblio a master list of those approved by us to
have these accounts. Here are four important documents about ibiblio's policies, regulations, server info and the like:

http://www.ibiblio.org/collection.html Collection Policy (how to contribute and collection criteria)
http://www.ibiblio.org/faq/ ibiblio FAQs for contributors and for visitors
http://www.ibiblio.org/systems/ Systems Central (hardware and software)
http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html About ibiblio
       http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html#contributing  Contributing to ibiblio
        Contributing to ibiblio.org
-
    If you are interested in becoming an ibiblio.org contributor:
    1. Read the Collection Criteria to see if your interest will be served by working with us
    2. Check out the services we offer contributors to see if we have what you need.
    3. Hint: very few, if any, proprietary services will be provided, but many open source solutions are, can or will be

       offered on request.
    4. Drop a note to help at ibiblio.org telling us:
     * What your project will be
     * What services you might wish to use
     * How to contact you by phone (so we can work out any details and passwords)
     * Anything else you think might be helpful
last revised: August 17, 2006
-

The pcdb development list has been created: pcdb at lists.ibiblio.org. I need to configure it and add subscribers.
Could those who want to be in this forum let me know, if you haven't already, here or in private email.
We can move tech talk there for the benefit of those in this list who don't want to read about our development efforts.
It would, however, be important to post feedback about the project here on a regular basis since it is ultimately for
everyone's use as well as others in the global permaculture community. One purpose of the pcdb would be to connect
users or all pc-related websites, blogs, wikis, webforums and mailing lists to a central resource. This is high on my
wishlist for this project.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl at intrex.net
info at market-farming.com
IM: lawrence.london at pandion.be & lfl at amber.org.uk
Market Farming
http://market-farming.com
Venaura Farm, sustainably-grown produce & garden handtools
http://market-farming.com/venaurafarm
Venaura Farm Blog
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/
Venaura Farm Gallery