[permaculture] Wood Ashes

Norris Thomlinson scrub at corrupt.net
Thu Dec 14 16:19:42 EST 2006

Hi Scott-

> Anyone know of any uses for wood ashes??  Besides lye soap and used to
> sweeten or alkalinize the soil.

I've come across references to use of wood ash lye in preparing corn, to
prevent the vitamin deficiencies caused by a diet high in corn.  It's the
same idea as using lime with the corn--but wood ash (especially or maybe
only? from hard woods) is another way to process it.  The wood ash lye is
created by leaching water through the ashes.  I don't know whether or not
the process is identical to that for preparing lye for soap.

Hope that helps!

Norris Thomlinson