[permaculture] "Ism's" "Power" and sustainable, traditional ways

kevin s k.skvorak at verizon.net
Wed Dec 13 09:55:13 EST 2006

apologies,

in emails,  brevity and coherence are a real challenge. you can only
include so much.

i appreciate people's reactions whenever an argument containing ism's
is started, and i share those feelings.   "good little capitalists"
is NOT meant to demean any individual  (unless they themselves
strongly identify with such a label) it was meant as a systems
critique.

  i agree with the fact that evo morales in bolivia identifies not as
leftist govt but as an indigenous govt.  it is instructive of a long
history of failure on the "Left" in regards to indigenous people.

i guess for me it is the question and meaning of "resistance" more
than anything else that is on my mind.

permaculture  is a positive solution.  we are all here i imagine
because of that.

but- i am stuck with the feeling that it is not enough.   resistance,
and solidarity with resistance to global Capitalism must be equally
part of that solution, or else we are all just implicated in some way
as part of the problem.

i sometimes fear the permaculture movement going the way of becoming
primarily another "green" lifestyle movement for priviledged people
in the North to escape to their own beautiful hand built ghettos in
the woods.

POWER is something that at least those that identify with ism's
understand, and something we don't talk about much in permaculture.
Political power, it seems to me must be as much a part of the
calculation for sustainability as any other source of energy

i for one will never trust -anyone- who suggest we must "forget" the
politics.  this is simply absurd, or worse. the politics is what is
killing us all

btw- i am listening to Vandana Shiva right now on Democracy Now
debating very powerfully (and critically) with a member of Grameen
bank.  i highly, highly recommend listening to her if you wish to
inform yourself on this, and the Indian context in which it is placed

http://www.democracynow.org/

peace,
kevin