[permaculture] 'celebrating' Grameen, Nobel, and capitalism

kevin s k.skvorak at verizon.net
Tue Dec 12 09:49:32 EST 2006

hi folks,

i guess i woke in one of those 'moods' this morning, (so pls don't
anyone take it personally) and i felt the urge to respond to this.

there is so much change under way in the world, good and bad.  i have
been involved a lot lately with solidarity work for oaxaca where the
old anticapitalist movement in mexico is being repressed in a new
dirty war.  this is relevent - ( the new dirty war fueled by the same
old US corporate interests)- because the struggle there is a
representation of community self empowerment, using traditional
indigenous models of political organizing and mutual aid, and i'll
bet no one from APPO is sure as hell going to get a Nobel Prize for
it.

i mean, there are so many ways for poor people to re-gain self
empowerment, is really becoming 'good little capitalists'  (with or
without a garden) what these individuals and communities need most?

ok, i know this is a big simplification of grameen, but it seems to
be the macro 'ethic' involved.

  traditional community structures are broken all over the world-and
those that are left are resisting all over the world- and it is
capitalism (colonialism,white supremacy, consumerism etc) that has
broken them.

imho, in terms of ethics-  zapatismo has a lot more in common with
permaculture than the Grameen bank does.  so i would celebrate if the
Nobel went to one of the EZLN Comandantas

  i do have hope for permaculture as part of the solution for
privileged industrialized people and those 'down below' alike.    but
i'm sorry i don't have hope for a permaculture 'movement' that
indentifies more with 'lifestyle' liberal green consumerism, than it
does with genuine social justice, local autonomy, and the like.  (i'm
not saying it does-but it feels that way at times)

anyway, thanks for the rant space.  again, pls don't take it
personally.  i am just mad at the world these days

in peace,
kevin

re: