[permaculture] teaching a permaculture design course

Robert Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Mon Aug 28 18:52:39 EDT 2006

Toby,

Thanks for an interesting discussion on the
development of teacher training in permaculture.

Besides several years of teaching experience, I
think it is probably helpful for permaculture
instructors to have experience in doing designs.
Those who would teach design should do design.

Your comment in the last paragraph about the
system being "poorly organized" caused me some
moments of thought.  I agree it appears
disorganized, but I am not sure if "poorly
organized" is the best choice of words.  Another
way of describing the situation in permaculture
training is that its present form is the result of
"spontaneous order" or maybe "spontaneous
development".  I think it is probably good that
there isn't a permaculture pope with authority
over the whole movement.  A more likely path to
"success" (whatever we define permaculture success
as) is to let a thousand flowers bloom.

Another traditional way to pass on human knowledge
about work is "apprenticeship", with its
three-fold division of "Apprentice", "Journeyman",
and "Master".

But the one I like the best is biological, and is
described by the term "rhizome".  I think about
that as I work with the Bermuda grass that is so
good at spreading via rhizomes.

Maybe I am an optimist, but I think the
permaculture movement is doing better than we
think.  I see a continually growing number of
people who have taken formal permaculture
training, and an even larger number of people who
by personal study and attendance at weekend
workshops and participation in online forums are
working on becoming "barefoot permaculturists", so
they can design their own living situations and
make a positive contribution to encouraging
permaculture in their local communities.

Consider, for example, the impact of the handful
of Australian permaculturists that went to Cuba.

I consider the lack of a national or international
permaculture organization to be a sign of wisdom
in the movement.  Successful transformational
movements grow from the ground up, not from the
top down.  Once upon a time I was very involved
with a third party in the US.  We had a national
committee.  We had state committees and
chairpersons.  But we didn't have any precinct
organizations.  So we really weren't a political
party, we were a political organization trying to
organize something from the top down.  When the
time is right, national and international
organizations will come into being, and they will
make sense and be productive because they are
growing up from very solid roots in fertile soil.

Bob Waldrop
tadpole in training with the Barking Frogs
Permaculture/Dan Hemenway permaculture lineage
http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org