[permaculture] Pet wastes....manure

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Tue Aug 8 11:27:24 EDT 2006

Charles de Matas wrote:

>>There are millions of tons of useful livestock waste created each year.
>>Look at all the different methods of composting this material that are
>>used:

>    I agree, I think we should use animal manure when it is easily available.
>   My land is close to a chicken farm, and I would like to make better use of
> the manure that I could get there. Unfortunately my pickup has been having
> all kinds of mechanical problems this year and I haven't been able to
> transport much manure. The few bags I bring up in my car I use in compost
> piles.  But I'm interested in ideas for using larger amounts.

Hire a local trucker to haul it for you; the farm will probably have a loader.
Make sure no arsenic has been added to the chicken feed; otherwise forget using that manure
and start loking for another source. Find a rock quarry local to you and hire a trucker to haul
some pond fines (very fine rock dust) to your farm. They usually give this material away. You
can get a MSDS on their fines if you're concerned about the chemical makeup of them.
Hire someone with a loader or rent one for a day and mix the fines with the manure. Let it compost for a while, until
the mix smells sweet, then put it on your gardens.

LL