[permaculture] Pet wastes....

yarrow at sfo.com yarrow at sfo.com
Sat Aug 5 17:02:25 EDT 2006

>Pet wastes, unfortunately, don't often get flushed down the toilet.
>Collection problems dictate that they end up just going back into
>the environment
>untreated-- usually in plastic bags that end up in landfills. And purely as a
>matter of convenience, I can't think of a much better place for
>them. The mechanics
>involved in a nationwide collection and decontamination effort would be
>daunting.

But that's why the link to the Fairbanks site is so exciting. The
piles of waste from sled-dog teams were "away" (that place where
garbage goes) on the frozen riverbanks in the winter, but a massive
problem come spring when it all melted and flowed into the water. So
the city determined to find a solution, and it did.
http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/compost/dogs.html