[permaculture] Investing

William Genest genest at pivot.net
Thu Sep 22 22:32:24 EDT 2005

Michael,

I heard there is a new index available to investors that is focused
on alternative energy et.al - Do you know what it's called and how
one gets in on it ?

Also, I would love your opinion on the only (?) mutual  fund ( that I
can find) dedicated to alternative energy - it's called the New
Alternatives fund and I have been tracking it for some time. it's
returns are mediocre and I wonder if you would comment on whether
that's a reflection of the industry as a whole or of the fund's
decison making abilities ?

Finally, and this one is sure to get a strong reaction from others -
I wonder if you would comment on the ethics of  investing in
companies that are focused on water. I know the horror stories of
privately owned water companies gouging locals, but I also know that
virtually every N.American city has water infrastructure that is in
dire need of replacement and that this will inevitably be farmed out
to industry and I don't see an ethical dilemma with that -

Thanks in advance for your comments,

William

On Sep 22, 2005, at 9:55 PM, Michael Kramer wrote:

> [...]
> permaculture are slowly inflitrating the mainstream, and this is
> something
> I've been actively involved in. Last year at the annual Social
> Responsible
> Investment conference in Keystone, Gil Friend of the Natural Step
> brought up
> permaculture and even showed some slides of Vint Lawrence's Apache
> Creek
> Ranch outside Santa Fe (Vint, if you're reading, I wonder if you knew
> this!). It was an amazing experience for Christopher Peck, Jonathan
> Scharfman, and myself (3 longtime permaculture teachers from the
> Southwest)
> to witness 500 financial professionals from around the world
> getting excited
> about permaculture, and I have followed up and tried to build on this
> introduction. I have been plugging the Permaculture Credit Union
> quite a lot
> over the years to this group, despite my inability to persuade the
> Permaculture Credit Union that they absolutely must be at these annual
> events because it's a great way to get depositors, as this is a group
> managing $2.3 trillion.
>
> Anyway, I've been intrigued by the recent thread on money and am
> aware of
> how angry people are at how money has been used on this planet for
> 170 years
> by Western societies. As a recovering anti-capitalist, however, I
> can tell
> you that things are slowly changing, and it's because eco-people
> are getting
> into mainstream institutions and movements and starting to build
> awareness,
> and they are being far more welcomed than ever before. It would be
> nice if
> we could direct investment towards the hybrid or solar divisions of
> multinational companies in order to support only their regenerative
> activities (but then, it would also be nice if we could decide
> which part of
> the budget our taxes could be directed to). Remember, money has no
> value,
> only that which we ascribe to it; it can be used for tremendously
> positive
> things, and we mustn't let our cynicism interfere with our capacity
> to use
> it wisely to reinvest surplus towards the permaculture ethics.
>
> -----
> Michael Kramer, M.Ed., AIF (Accredited Investment Fiduciary)
> Natural Investment Services
> P.O. Box 390595
> Keauhou, HI 96739
>
> Michael at NaturalInvesting.com
> www.NaturalInvesting.com
> 808-331-0910
> Toll-free: 888-779-1500
>
> Socially Conscious Portfolio Management & Hourly Consulting
> Sustainability Strategic Planning and Education
>
> "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

 From "Something-Must-be-Done" to Something we can do !