[permaculture] From The Wilderness Email Alert List Message

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Sep 17 23:55:35 EDT 2005

> CNN.com - A disturbing view from inside FEMA - Sep 17, 2005
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/17/katrina.response/index.html
>
> A disturbing view from inside FEMA
> Worker: Decision-makers lack disaster experience
>
> Saturday, September 17, 2005; Posted: 5:06 p.m. EDT (21:06 GMT)
> As Hurricane Katrina bore down on the Gulf Coast three weeks ago,
> veteran workers at the Federal Emergency Management Agency braced for an
> epic disaster.
>
> But their bosses, political appointees with almost no emergency
> management experience, didn't seem to share the sense of urgency, a FEMA
> veteran said.
>
> "We told these fellows that there was a killer hurricane heading right
> toward New Orleans," Leo Bosner, a 26-year FEMA employee and union
> leader told CNN. "We had done our job, but they didn't do theirs."(
> Watch video of the whistleblower)
>
> Bosner's storm warning came early Saturday, three days before Hurricane
> Katrina came ashore in eastern Louisiana

My Way News
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050917/2005-09-17T201931Z_01_YUE773054_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-KATRINA-PRIORITIES-DC.html
Early warnings raised doubt on Bush disaster plans
Sep 17, 4:19 PM (ET)
By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In the months before Hurricane Katrina, President
George W. Bush sought to cut a key program to help local governments
raise their preparedness, and state officials warned of a "total lack of
focus" on natural disasters by his homeland-security chief, documents show.

The disclosures add to questions over the administration's
emergency-response planning, Homeland Security Secretary Michael
Chertoff's priorities and the way the White House budgets for disaster
preparedness after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Organizations representing emergency-response and security officials at
state and local agencies had complained of funding shortages and what
they saw as an excessive shift by the Homeland Security Department away
from preparing for natural disasters, as it focused increasingly on
terrorism.

In July, the National Emergency Management Association wrote lawmakers
expressing "grave" concern that still-pending changes proposed by
Chertoff would undercut the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
<.....>
Copyright 2005 Reuters.