[permaculture] dealing with hard ground

Martin Naylor martinwnaylor at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 15 05:03:01 EDT 2005

hi
i've been into permaculture a long time, may be from the begining,
i'm shore there is a group somewhere in mexico, who started from scratch and changed there own enviroment in 10 years, i've lost there web site, but i'm sure as cucumbers they where alive a year ago,
i also wrote into piw, about a group in south america which had a web site twice the size of piw
lawrence, aparently i'm already on your raw food site, i must have joined, when i was in raw food, how do i get back on to your site
love peace and happiness

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl at intrex.net> wrote:
> William Genest wrote:
>

>One cheap sourse of mulch this time of year are those huge round
>bales of hay that get left out and rained on and are considered
>useless - have a couple of those trucked in and plopped into your
>raised beds ( which needn't be more elaborate than something to hold
>in the pile say two feet high - then add a layer of compost above
>that - Voila !

I. Find a rock quarry near you and have dumptruck loads of siltation
pond fines, AKA rock dust, (free for the hauling), brought in, dumped
and spread over the area to become a garden. Mix compost, manure,
spoiled hay, rock phosphate, NJ greensand, and other soil amendments
into the powdered rock .......... instant garden!

II. Best to excavate garden bed areas and remove any poor soil/hardpan
before adding rock dust and other amendments; use this material to form
berms or swales to control or direct drainage; this might be done
around the garden to bring rainfall into it.