[permaculture] New community planned for Katrina survivors

J Newman jn at jnweb.com
Sat Sep 10 16:19:55 EDT 2005

This may be an opportunity for a Permaculture designer to collaborate
and make a difference in the Katrina aftermath.

"One of Canada's most prominent businessmen", Frank Stronach has
airlifted a couple of hundred New Orleans "refugees"  to his Florida
equestrian compound where he is providing food and shelter.  Footage I
saw on tv showed a pretty happy group, ready to start a new life.  It
appears there was a degree of selection based on their interest in
starting anew because Stronach  has plans to build homes for all.
According to CTV News
<http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1126267349095_21/?hub=CTVNewsAt11>:

    Stronach was given a standing ovation when he announced he would
    help evacuees through the next five years.

    He said he would fly to Louisiana Friday to oversee the acquisition
    of 1,000 acres of land on which he intends to build a mobile home
    village and, later, a village of permanent homes, a school and a
    city hall.

    "We're going to help you get on your feet," Stronach said. "I know
    if we work together it will be a model community."

    Stronach said he would spend $2 million on the Louisiana property.

Perhaps he would be open to incorporating elements of Permaculture in
this new community:  building for the future health and welfare of the
community and the planet.

- Jeffrey  Newman

--
Inside British Columbia web site: http://www.jnweb.com/british-columbia/