[permaculture] Straw bale urinals

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Tue Nov 29 13:42:23 EST 2005

A much better technique is to fill a 5-gallon bucket with loose straw (or
better, wood shavings since they are much more absorbent, splash less, and
often cheaper than straw) and put a removable toilet seat on it. This setup
doesn't smell until it's full, and guys can just set the seat aside before
use (or smart women will remove the seat after use). I would think handling
a bulky, really heavy, urine-soaked straw bale would be very unpleasant,
unless you are just planning on leaving it to compost in place. The bucket
can be emptied easily where ever you need the nitrogen.

Toby
--Join Penny Livingston and me at a design course in Belize, Feb. 6-19,
2006.
www.patternliteracy.com for details