[permaculture] Email addresses being put on web - SHOULD BEFIXED

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Fri Nov 25 19:45:37 EST 2005

Toby Hemenway wrote:

> I suspect I get a great deal of spam because of this list's web archives. My
> old email address receives massive quantities of spam, and when I google it,
> this list comes up by far the most often on the hits. My newer address,
> though I have used it for 2 years or more, has not appeared in the archives
> until recently, and spam is starting to pick up on it now. This is only a
> working hypothesis and I am no web maven, of course, but it points toward
> this list as a culprit. I am opposed to putting email addresses on the web
> and hope we can find a way to fix it, even if it's just asking people, when
> they reply, to delete or alter the poster's email address.

To settle this issue once and for all the archives for the permaculture list will remain open to the
public, and for many good reasons. What I have done to hide a poster's email address is the most that
the list serve software offers short of tagging every post as sent by permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org,
and I am not going that route. The lfl at intrex dot net or whatever ID altering scheme will keep spam
harvesting bots from gleaning such email ID's from the archives.

Why don't I get much spam? I'm in the archives as frequently as anyone and can't say that this list is the cause.
I use Mozilla and its spam tagging AI to batch delete everything. This is easy enough and is available to anyone.
You teach the spam watcher what to look for and it is surprising how good it is at getting all of it and rarely anything
that isn't.

Try filtering and batch deleting spam on your end. I think you'll be satisfied with the results.

LL