[permaculture] pumpkin seeds?

Ken Heronheart heronheart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:31:27 EST 2005

On 11/21/05, Marjory Glowka <forestgarden at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with growing pumpkins for thier seeds?
> I've
> ehard of a hullless variety of pumpkin called 'godiva' or something like
> that. I was wondering if anyone knew much about it. I live in central
> texas, zone 8 (-/+1), with a sandy loam soil. If you've grown the
> pumpkins,
> do you know much about yield? How many pouds of seeds per pumpkin? Easy to
> grow? any particular bugs or disease to worry about? Varieites you would
> recommend.

I don't have any experience but am also planning to try growing some of the
hull-less ones next year. There appear to be a number of varieties including
Godiva, Triple-Threat and Snack Jack. Running a search on "hull-less pumpkin
order" brings up some sites to order from. I found the following at <
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1979_January_February/Lady_Godiva_Rides_Again_
>:

" four- to six-pound globes each year ... including the not-so-mature or
slightly spoiled pumpkins that go to our chickens after we've plundered the
seeds. (In case you're wondering, it takes about 20 of the fruits to produce
each pound of cleaned seed.)"

--
- Ken -
Selling fine handmade masks and paper sculptures at <url: