[permaculture] alternatives to asphalt

Elinor Jean u3288545 at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 8 18:15:35 EST 2005

Hi Kenny,
there is some great stuff I have seen - I don't know its name though or
if it is available in the US. Some carparks here in Australia have a
kind of concrete mesh - you have about 5 cm square blocks of concrete
woven into a matrix, such that between each block there are rows and
columns of soil / grass. The soil level is below the level of the
concrete blocks, so the grass does grow and is protected from the car
tyres. You could even plant other things such as herbs. This would be an
option that does not totally kill the soil underneath and that makes the
carpark a bit cooler as well. It probably helps if there are trees and
shrubs in the carpark too. Otherwise it might be too hot for the grass
to grow.
cheers Elinor