[permaculture] JAPANESE BEETLES

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Fri Jun 17 11:35:02 EDT 2005

Carrie,

Are the four-o-clocks a trap or a repellant?

We have tons of tons of japanese beetles here in Maine. We've found
Midwest Evening Primrose to be the best trap crop for us so far. Also
Zinnias and Hollyhocks seem to attract them. As far as crops go,
soybeans have been the most affected but we found an extremely
pubescent variety that seems to repel them.

We just got a flock of chickens and look forward to developing ways
to utilize them in the fight. We're planning to integrate pheromone
traps into our chicken tractors for a start.

I'm also wondering about bringing the chickens into the garden when
things mature and letting them forage, maybe shaking the plants first
thing in the morning to get the sluggish beetles to fall to the
ground where the chickens can eat them.

Good luck to all who have the misfortune of having this devastating
pest and keep us posted on any more controls.

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts & Ecology
Otisfield, ME