[permaculture] Philosophy behind mandala gardens

David Bryce dbryce at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 6 18:36:44 EDT 2005

If this seems a dumb question but I'm only just learning about permaculture.

We have started a community garden in my town and had an experienced community garden person come and run introductory workshops for us. He went through a lot of material stressing the importance of a mandala garden to a permaculture setup. I'd never heard the term before and did a google search for "Mandala". Everything it turned up was about Buddhism and Tibetan sand art, etc.

I have searched for mandala garden using google and have found only pictures, how to do it, etc. Nothing about basic philosophy. I have found some discussions on whether or not mandala gardens are superior to ordinary rectangular or any-shape gardens.

What I want to know is how much is the concept of the mandala garden tied to Buddhist philosophy? I do not wish to offend anyone but I am not a Buddhist and have no desire to be involved in anything that has that philosophy built in to it.

Regards - Dave in Australia