[permaculture] Goats herding

Rich Blaha rich at mossbackfarm.com
Wed Apr 20 20:43:53 EDT 2005

Hi Lisa

It's actually pretty natural for most ungulates to be gender-separated for the non-breeding season.  It reduces confilict and death of the young ones when the testosterone poisoning gets too much for the big males.  Plus, as you said, it keeps chastity in place

In nature, I know Elk separate off into cow herds (with young) and male herds...I think the females chase off the males in those situations.  Some of the central asian species of goats do the same, if I remember right.

We've had a ram kill a young male lamb that got a little too playful, so our sheep herd gets gender separated once the wee ones are born.  The ram gets a little lonely (lacking a herd of other males to hang out with), but dealing with 2 rams sounds like way more work than it's worth at this point.  Perhaps we'll raise a wether one of these years...

(sheep & goats are biologically very similar in both physical and social structure, which is why I use them here as an example.)

I guess you can't call me anti-goat, but at the moment I don't have room in my young permaculture system for an animal that will mow all of my young trees down to nothing.  The deer will do that for me.

Cheers

Rich
www.mossbackfarm.com/journal