[permaculture] Please let's not debate

Lisa MacIver lisamaciver8 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 00:11:27 EST 2005

If everyone bit their, er, typewriter instead of replying when they
are incensed, this list would be a much more pleasant place.

Personally, I don't know why change the PDC, it ain't broke, as far
as I can tell.  Why can't we add courses specialized for other needs,
and leave the PDC alone?  I don't see why the PDC has to be all things
to all people in all circumstances...

Why does it seem that everyone wants to teach permaculture?  Doesn't
anyone want to do real work?  Real work is growing food and planting
trees, that produces a net gain to the planet.  While teaching is
valuable, if there are enough teachers then it's just overhead.  Maybe
these are my values and different from others - but I look at the
three ethics and it seems like going out and planting things and
helping out in your community (and maybe researching guilds) are far
more in line with that, than just being one more permaculture teacher.

And speaking as a former outsider, the permaculture movement, such
as it is, seems to be very inward looking and somewhat obsessed by
the PDC.  Insofar as the goal of a movement would normally be to
share it with others and grow, why is most of the talk about each
other (and negative), rather than about what you did around your
neighborhood, what you learned about some subject, what you have
growing?   I was surprised to learn so much in the PDC course - after
following this list for a year or so, I had very low expectations
going in, and wouldn't have taken it except that it was local, on
weekends, and in winter, so it didn't overly impact my real work
(growing food), or my day job.

Maybe there should be a separate list of the small number of
permaculture teachers who need to form consensus about the course?
And we perhaps can use this list to talk about *permaculture*?

I've been looking at openpermaculture list, but I don't see any
difference in the topics there, either.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon