[permaculture] Pond Building

Eugene F. Monaco efmonaco at comcast.net
Tue Sep 28 12:16:25 EDT 2004

In addition to all the great advice you'll get, remember this:
Be real sure to bench the edges, and be especially careful to make the walls
of the edge bench vertical and the shelf of the bench level or even sloped a
little toward the edge, which is tricky.  It's real easy when you're
digging, to unintentionally slope the bench a little toward the middle of
the pond, even when you're aware and trying not to.  This partly occurs when
you drape the liner over the bench and it has a tendency to round off the
corners. Even a little angle (slope) will make your rocks around the edge
(or pots of water plants) slide down into the center of the pond, especially
when you start building rock sculptures stacked on top of one another.  Be
careful to create good structural stability at the edge or you'll be sorry.
Once the liner is in place it's a real pain to fix.  Bought that T-shirt.

-Gene Monaco