[permaculture] Permaculture in Houston

McFarlandAIA at aol.com McFarlandAIA at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 22:48:33 EDT 2004

To all,

It is in Austin that the Permaculture Designer Certification series is being
currently offered on the weekends. There are also some weekend classes I have
seen listed in Northern California. In the classes I took about 5 years ago,
the Permaculture Guild of Houston offered the class in 10 Saturdays over 10
months at a rural location - Animal Farm. We had hands-on experience, but little
real powerpoint (slides) with handouts that we have now. We found that the
Saturday courses were hard for people to commit to, so we switched to 2
Wednesdays a month and kept the prices really low because Urban Harvest umbrellaed us
into their hierarchy, the teachers were many and could teach after their day
job and we intentionally wanted to keep the classes affordable. We feel that we
are an urban area with specific urban problems and the classes are oriented
towards urban solutions. We have been very fortunate to find a vast untapped
reservoir of intentional students wanting this information and can share and
nurture Permaculture in an urban setting. Our prime goal is to grow the group
within Houston. We are not the best city for environmental sensitivities, but
teaching Permaculture will make a difference, one student at a time. We graduate
11 students this coming Sunday.

If anyone is interested in how we made this transition from an in-residence
intensive class to a more fragmented allotment of core teaching modules which
can transfered to any available teacher (assuming you have many), please let me
know and I will share or post an article written by Dr. Bob Randall of Urban
Harvest about the evolution of our group and its teaching approach.

Shawn McFarland, AIA, LEED
Permaculture Guild of Houston