[permaculture] earthships and greywater

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Sun Sep 5 12:05:36 EDT 2004

My mother in law lives in Taos in a Mike Reynolds inspired earthship
that her son Peter built about 10 years ago. For the most part it
functions well but the greywater system from the kitchen is prone to
overwhelming the planters that it drains into. In more recent greywater
systems Peter installed valving to allow for sending the water to
different places, both inside and out, and they seem to function quite
well. I think that Ontario will provide some different challenges than
Taos though with shorter winter days to keep interior planters in rapid
growth and more freezing issues outside, even on the south side of the
building which is typically not a problem in Taos.

I'm in Maine, so I'll be very interested to hear what you come up with
for a system. The most successful system I've seen here, was a long,
deeply buried perforated pipe draining to a series of small ponds with
lots of plants. I'm installing a similar system which ties into my
foundation drain around my root cellar. I'll keep the group posted as
we get our sink drains on line this winter.

Good Luck,

Scott Vlaun
Otisfield ME USA