[permaculture] Visit to a collective Horinca Distillery in Hoteni, Romania

dtv at mwt.net dtv at mwt.net
Tue Nov 9 14:23:25 EST 2004

Carrie:

It's one of the amazing anomolies here in Romania is that there is no recycling anywhere
in any rural
area here, the waterways are piled with garbage & plastic, reminding me of the way our
countryside in
rural Wisconsin looked in the early 60s when I was growing up.  Yet plastic liter bottles
are used by
everyone until they are literally dark & stained.  In the markets many different home made
products are
bottled in recycled plastic (we got some fermented borsht soup broth today), people get
their drinking
water from naturally carbonated springs, wine, liquor etc.

The trick with wine of course is to make sure the cap is sealed tight & no air gets
inside.  Less of an
issue with something high alcohol like horinca.

mIEKAL