[permaculture] Coir

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Sat Mar 13 22:38:56 EST 2004

I've heard that some coir-based products contain excessive amounts of
salt and have created problems for some growers. Seeds of Change is
selling a product called gro-coir which is marketed by Earth Fire, the
same people that sell Earth Juice organic fertilizers. We've had good
success with it but it doesn't exactly replace peat moss "one to one"
in potting and seed starting mixes. For seed starting I've had good
luck mixing it one to one with perlite and hydrating it with dilute
earthjuice for nutrition. The Seeds of Change research farm uses a mix
of 3 parts coir, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite, 1 part sand, 1/2
part sifted compost, and a small amount of kelp powder and alfalfa
meal.

Scott Vlaun
editor at seedsofchange.com