[permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 13, Issue 10

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Tue Feb 10 16:57:14 EST 2004

At 12:07 PM 2/10/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>can water collected from a surface (roof)  where pidgeons normally drop
>their castings be safe for watering vegetables?
>
>Does anyone know a method to oblige (unforcefully) the pidgeons to do
>their needs not just anywhere on the roof
>but in some specific place, where it can then be collected and maybe
>composted? Would nest boxes do the job?
>
>BTW can pidgeon castings from urban areas contain polluting sunstances
>other than typical fecal pathogens which might
>advice against its use as a fertilazer (once composted)?
>All the best
>
>Antonio Scotti

The manure water should be great for plants.

Check out a good architecture book on Middle East structures and look for
Pigeon Cote.  The Arabs, Iranians, and others built beautiful towers to
lure pigeons to their farms so they could collect the manure at the base of
the tower.  The towers had multiple entries high up with perches built in
front of the entries.  They embedded small pots in the adobe walls that
were used as nests by the pigeons.  The farmer was able to harvest manure,
eggs, and squab from this architectural jewel.

I don't know about urban pigeon manure, I know that chickens have an
insatiable appetite for polystyreen which must be pretty toxic but maybe not.

Scott