[permaculture] is honey locust a nitrogen fixer?

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Wed Dec 29 15:37:32 EST 2004

Lisa wrote:

>> Checked the origin of my info and it's Toby too (post of 4/20/04):
>> he quotes the book "The Leguminosae" (O.N. Allen).

Allen cites a number of studies that show that Gleditsia exudes substances
from its roots that inhibit the formation of N-fixing bacterial nodules, and
that also prevent the nodules from penetrating root-hair walls, which is
necessary for the symbiotic relationship to develop. No nodules, no
nitrogen. A few studies conflict with this and calim that nodulation can be
forced in the lab, but apparently no one has found nodules in the wild
plant.

Toby