[permaculture] belated bentonite pond answer (7-26-04)

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 20 22:52:57 EST 2004

When I needed bentonite in quantity I aquired it from well drillers (who
pump it down the bore hole to prevent the sides of the well from
collapsing). Be forewarned that when wet it has a consistency and
stickiness similar to snail slime (which is VERY sticky). Aplication
techniques range from tilling the dry material into the bottom of the
drained, and ideally dry, pond, or, if the pond has water in it, dumping
it dry out of the back of a small motorboat and agitating it very
thoroughly before letting it settle. I think the tilling approach would
yield superior results. The volume, of course, would depend on the size
of the pond.
Keith

--
Keith Johnson