[permaculture] Eco X-mas

Felicity Wright flickwright at ozemail.com.au
Fri Dec 10 19:48:41 EST 2004

Some great ideas from Kathryn.

We also support Amesty International, Oxfam, CARE, UNICEF, Greenpeace and
others by buying from their catalogues or on-line  - which is the caring for
people bit of PC and promoting tolerance and harmony. Each country would
have different websites (we're in Australia).

We have been using newspaper for wrapping Xmas pressies for years - and even
the kids have become used to it (yeah, they groaned initially).

What about personal gift vouchers - for assistance in the garden, some
job/task another person would find awkward, doesn't have the skills for or
is just too big - given them X hours work or a half day or a day? A massage
voucher, childminding promise, animal or plant minding/watering voucher for
when they go on holidays, offer to assist with a harvest or processing (if
they have gluts), making a compost heap, shifting house, cleaning.

Think about gifts made locally by hand and using local resources and gluts -
jams, pickles, biscuits (cookies), preserves, dried fruits. Don't have to be
hand-made by the giver - but encouraging and rewarding those who do make
things by hand.

Visit local markets to see what people are making and selling that they have
made.

Support business that support producers, artists and craftspeople to earn a
right livelihood - such as local shops/art & craft galleries/wholefood
stores.

In terms of PC principles, consider gifts that have more than one function -
that reward the producer (person who made it - offered it), that do not
represent huge embodied energy or are environmentally negative, that make
the giver feel good (because they're being ethical and giving according to
their principles), and are a pleasure to receive for the recipient.

cheers
flick