[permaculture] Fodder trees or invasive weeds?

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 13:48:23 EDT 2004

I don't know much about tagasaste (except that I thought Ashland is too cold for it), but I've never heard of autumn olive being a weed.  It's cousin, Russian olive, is a dryland species that has become invasive east of the Cascades, but I don't know of any other Elaeagnus with this trait.  As far as Pawlonia goes, I'd be very surprised if it was able to reproduce with our dry Summers, except possibly along waterways.  And if you want to know about black locusts fixing nitrogen, just look at their roots: mine are covered in nodules.

Rain

Message: 2