[permaculture] Appropriate road surfacing

THEDRINGS at telefonica.net THEDRINGS at telefonica.net
Mon Apr 5 15:59:37 EDT 2004

Picking up on discussion about asphalt.. I live in a small village in
southern Spain.  We have a smallholding on a track serving about 50
other farmers.  The track is in really bad repair and the local town
hall have refused to maintain it.  I want to help organise those of us
served by the road to club together to pay for a suitable solution.
The track is approx 1 km long, 5 meters wide and of varying gradient -
some flatish(~ 40%) and other parts sloping quite steeply.  Much of the
track is bordered on the lower side by an irrigation channel.  The road
has, over time, become very heavily pot-holed through heavy rain and
poor drainage.  With this sketchy information can anyone point me
towards appropriate ways of making sustainable repairs to the road.  I
envisage that we could use local contractors who have the kit but may
not have the knowledge - e.g. someone said "lets concrete the whole
road" which I assume is not the best way forward?  I'm happy to provide
any other info that may help to formulate a response.
Thanks in anticipation.
Dominic
Tel:  0034 952 15 32 92