[permaculture] Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco sources

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 27 21:19:06 EST 2003

Hi Larry,
L.SantoyoDesigns wrote:

> Hello All,..  I am looking for sources of:
> -Arracacia xanthorrhiza, Arracacha

Oregon Exotics (if they're still retail. Let me know.), Sunny Lands
Seeds, Box 385, Paradox (that's for sure), Colorado 81429 970-859-7248
are the two listed in Cornucopia Two (which you should get a copy of,
Larry. We still sell it. $45 + 10% shipping).

> -Ulluco tuberosus,  Melloco.

I'd check with the folks at Occidental Arts and Ecology Center. I think
they've been growing it for several years. It's related to Malabar Spinach.

> -Lepidium meyenii, Maca.

I've corrected the spelling above to correspond to the Latin names in
Lost Crops of the Incas and Cornucopia
Available from:
Herbs-Liscious, 1702, S 6th St, Marshalltown, IA 50158,, 515-752-4976
Janca's Jojoba Oil and Seed Co, 456 East Juanita #7, Mesa, AZ 85204,
760-749-1133
That stuff's reputed to be an aphrodisiac. If its that quality you seek,
look into epimedium sagittatum, or horny goat weed. Easy to grow in
fairly deep shade....and it works ;-) .

> also -"Mandarin Melon Berry"(TM)
> "... from the swampy Yangtze deltas on China's east coast..."

I got mine from Edible Landscaping, PO Box 77, Afton Va. 22920,
1-800-524-4156 He's got several large specimens there that are just
gorgeous and thriving. He grafts cuttings onto seedlings and he has a lot.
Keith