[permaculture] Re: Branches and small diameter wood

Loren Davidson loren at farwalker.com
Wed Mar 26 13:46:19 EST 2003

At 11:17 AM 3/26/03 -0700, Scott Pittman wrote:
>I am fortunate to have a landfill that will chip my trimmings and reload
>it in my truck gratis.  I use these chips for walkways in the garden and
>to mulch fruit trees.  I am concerned about bringing home disease or bugs
>from someone elses' garden, but, knock on wood, hasn't happened yet.  It
>takes a few years for this to break down further even tho it is in the wet
>zone of our kitchen garden, worms seem to prefer it under the walkways of
>chipped wood to the straw mulch of the planting beds.  The soil under the
>walkways is richer than the beds after three years, but we are not mining
>the nutrients of this zone with plants. Perhaps I should rotate the beds
>and walkways.

Why not just plant right next to the walkways and let your plants send
roots underneath to mine the nutrients? It seems like a logical extension
of the gardening practice of growing heavy feeders like tomatoes next to a
compost pile/bin. If you use Zone 1/2 plants, particularly edibles, you
create "food walkways" and improve placement of things needing care this
way. The only downside I see is if you use plants that require a lot of
pruning to keep from overgrowing your walkways...but you could just plant
those a little bit further back.

Loren

Loren Davidson        Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren at farwalker.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334     ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear