Fwd: [permaculture] Are we a weed?

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Tue Mar 25 14:22:16 EST 2003

Georg--

Here's one (a wrong-way invader) that just popped up today-- Mnemiopsis
leidyi. It's a comb jelly that hitchhiked in some bilge water from America to
the Black Sea, where it collapsed a $250 million anchovy industry and now
comprises up to 95% of the biomass of the entire Black Sea. These are some
invasives from hell!   At least the Asian snakeheads that are taking over
freshwater streams on the Eastern seaboard are said to be good eating. Who
wants jellyfish?

So maybe examples are all over the place if you just look for them. I don't
know who first came up with that observation about invasives generally only
going one way-- I must have taken it on Learned Authority from some book.

Mike Elvin