[permaculture] How to deal with Chiggers?

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 21 22:09:53 EST 2003

The best approach is to avoid their habitats: tall weedy, grassy places.
2nd, if you have to work in those areas, ASAP shower with soap and a
brush and most will wash away. They are tiny enough so that your skin is
a landscape of hills and valleys. They fall into these crevices, grab
hold and then spit on you. They don't "bite". The enzymes in their
saliva basically dissolve skin cells which they slurp up. Charming, eh?
Then your body reacts allergically with itching and swelling. Normally
the first time you scratch and remove that bit of softened tissue, they
are gone. However, the allergic reaction and subsequent healing takes up
to a week to heal. Some folks put nail polish on to suffocate them, but
it doesn't actually remove them or the irritant. I guess the idea is
that if you apply it soon enough they will produce less irritant. I
haven't found it to make that much difference. Besides, most nail
polishes are themselves toxic. Humans are a very poor host compared to a
nice furry or feathery organism. Still, they manage to get into the most
annoying locations usually where garments bind like the crotch,
underarms, waist, under bras, wristwatch, etc., though they can lodge
anywhere.They are small enough to crawl THROUGH clothing, though tighter
weaves and layers will slow them down. Don't wear the same clothes after
washing.
Keith