[permaculture] Traditional Knowledge: New & Old - request for submissions.

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 4 20:49:17 EST 2003

  Just a note to let you all know that the deadline dates mentioned
below should be a month later than indicated. That is, April should be
May, June should be July, etc. Proposals for articles are already coming
in.  Thanks.
Keith

(Please excuse cross-posting)

What are the ancient and new patterns of knowledge, how are new
traditions intitiated, what is the fate of old traditions? With the
arise of mass communication and, especially the internet, knowledge, and
its transmission, has been substantially altered and accelerated. Are we
any smarter?  What is Knowledge anyway? What is a Knower? What is the
role of Mystery?

Those are some of the questions we invite you to explore and elaborate
upon for the Summer 2003 (deadline April 1) issue of the Permaculture
Activist Magazine addressing the theme of "Traditional Knowledge: New &
Old".

Possible subjects include:

Bioregionalism
Indigenous cultural practices of:
   agriculture,
   fishing (note, too, that we seek stories on Aquaculture for the fall
2003 issue - June 15 deadline),
   hunting,
   medicine,
   governance,
   architecture,
   economics,
   education (we also need articles on the subject of Education for the
winter 2003 issue - Sept 20 deadline)
   technology, etc.
Modern variants of the above
Wild-crafting
Cosmology
Emerging new "Traditions" and trends

. . . and so forth.

The magazine is primarily for a North American audience, but relevant
articles from other regions are welcome. Length is flexible, from 800-3000
words. Electronic submissions are preferred (MSWord is good), and
accompanying graphics are
always appreciated. We cannot pay for submissions, but will provide you
with
several copies of the issue in return. Ad exchanges are sometimes an
option, too.

To submit ideas or articles, contact me at:
keith at permacultureactivist.net

For more information on the magazine, visit
http://www.permacultureactivist.net

Keith Johnson
Editorial Guild