[permaculture] Can language be recycled?

robscott at freeshell.org robscott at freeshell.org
Wed Jul 23 13:14:31 EDT 2003

John Schinnerer wrote back:
> Hmm, sounds like a war/military metaphor.  Is that an example of the
> language use issue you're addressing?

John,

Thanks for taking up my point about language use.

I was using the word "defend" in the sense it is used when talking about
debates, conversation, "defending a point" etc. I'm not trying to get
defensive here, but if you have a proposal for another word I'm ready to
hear it.

I don't follow your propaganda point however. I'm formulating questions
and statements about economic and social systems.
Is your point that I cannot use the terms "capitalism" and "democracy"
without falling into the pitfalls of propaganda? What terms would you
prefer? Or better yet, what system would you prefer?

Rob Scott