[permaculture] Waving not Drowning

Russ Grayson pacedge at magna.com.au
Mon Jul 14 03:08:05 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 11:13  AM, Bob Howard wrote:
>> A friend of mine in college really really wanted to go work offering
>> basic
>> health services in '3rd world' countries.  As she looked more and more
>> into what NGOs and agencies and so on she might work with, she
>> discovered
>> that in order to 'qualify' for actual hands-on work with almost all of
>> them, she had to be an M.D.!!!
>
> Having worked as a nurse in a "third world" situation I can actually
> appreciate why NGO'S would want an M.D. as opposed to a paramedic. The
> main
> reason is that there are often local people on the ground with para
> medic
> skills even in the most destitute of communities. Moreover these
> people have
> essential local knowledge and even with minimal training are an
> essential part
> of a health service.

This is really part of a bigger question regarding the sending of
volunteers into developing country communities. As is suggested, there
are often people with basic skills available in those countries. This,
of course, is good. The downside for sympathetic people in developed
countries is that they then find no avenue to enact their willingness
to help.

As a Nepalese friend suggested, they could work in their own countries.
But that doesn't happen to any great extent. Why? I think it is to do
with perceptions, specifically the perception that people in developing
countries are 'more needy' and because the supply of such services in
developed countries has been professionalised. That is, you need a
university degree or similar to do community development as a
livelihood or in a structured way. There is always voluntary work with
community-based organisations, of course, and I encourage such
involvement. However, the impact they have is not always great because
of limitations to funding and organisational capacity and because of
lack of higher-level skills among voluteers.

Working in an NGO, we had quite a few people, many fresh from doing a
PDC, who would knock on the office door and ask to be placed in a
developing country. We could accommodate almost none of these because
our policy was to train local people to assume control of the projects
(this minimised the need for people from Australia) and because our
need was for people with developed skills unavailable locally, such as
community seed saving. Many PDC graduates had little training or
experience other than the course.

Our other suggestion, of volunteering service in the office of an NGO,
was seldom taken up because work in an office was not perceived as
either valuable or of assisting directly. Yet, in our own office this
is how people got to be given responsibility for projects and how they
got to go overseas for limited periods to train people or for other
tasks. It also provided knowledge of the NGO world, its constraints and
opportunities, and valuable insight into relations with people and
organisations in developing countries, with government and donors and
it also provided valuable experience in administrative and
decision-making skills that would prove useful in developing countries.

...Russ Grayson