[permaculture] Walled Communities

Loren Davidson loren at farwalker.com
Wed Jul 2 15:03:43 EDT 2003

At 01:48 PM 7/2/03 -0500, miekal and wrote:
>Generalizations like this frighten me.  (...)
>
>On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 10:00 AM, Toby Hemenway wrote:
>
>>  It's a sad fact that often (with notable exceptions) people without
>> cash also don't have skills, experience, or sometimes the will to
>> persevere, which are all useful to a community.

I fail to see how "often (with notable exceptions)" constitutes a
"generalization." If he'd said "always" and not included the exception, or
even if he'd said "It's a sad fact that people without cash...", *that*
would be a generalization, as I understand the usage of the word.

FWIW, I have seen hard-working, skilled individuals without a pot to piss
in who *can* live off their skills. I respect these people, and wish those
who really do need more pictures of dead presidents could be compensated
what they're worth.

I have also seen people who are really, most sincerely broke and without
resources because they *have* no usable skills, have no social skills,
and/or have the worst luck on the planet.

Unfortunately, people in that latter group are often the most vociferous
about how they shouldn't be discriminated against because they have no
assets, and the least willing to self-examine as to the possible causes of
their situations.

Yes, Miekal, I used the word "often." That means I know there are
exceptions, so it ain't a generalization either.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson        Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren at farwalker.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334     ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"In gentleness there is great strength." - Sun Bear