[permaculture] clearing land

Claude Genest genest at together.net
Tue Jan 28 08:52:40 EST 2003

Depends on what you want to do ?

Alder, I believe, is a nitrogen fixer..... PErhaps you might consider
some manner of guild around the alders ? - Also, the mere presence of
the alders in such abundance suggests to me that yours is recovering,
regenerating land that was likely abused and depleted in the not so
distant past.

Permaculture suggests long protracted observation instead of short
mindless re-action.

Claude

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 12:34 AM, RiverValley wrote:

> I"m moving my farm to land that was logged about ten years ago and now
> is
> covered mainly with alders 8 to 10' feet tall 7 inches or less in
> diameter.
>
> I'm wondering what would be the best way to clear the land.  Several
> ideas
> have been proped to me.  1.  use a cat with tines on the front similar
> to a
> subsoiler to push the trees over then use an exavator to pile them up
> then
> chip the trees. 2.  Use an excavator to pull the trees up and pile then
> chip.  3.  Cut trees with a chain saw then let lie to decompose or
> chip.
>
> I would love to hear any ideas or comments.  Does anyone know how long
> small
> alders would take to break down?  Are there any drawbacks to
> subsoiling?
>
> I'm interested in mainting as much of the exsisting soil structure as
> possible.
>
> thanks,
> daniel

Best Regards,
Claude William Genest

Green Mountain Permaculture: Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability

"What Permaculturalists are doing is the most important work being done
on the planet."
David Suzuki

"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a
comfortable living from a small piece of land."
Abraham Lincoln

"Clever men solve problems, wise men avoid them."
  Albert Einstein

Listen up !  http://www.democracynow.org/