[permaculture] Re: Greenhouse Design

Claude William Genest genest at pivot.net
Wed Dec 31 16:37:33 EST 2003

Paul wrote:
>  if you are
> going to concentrate the light to get it through the roof, then you
> are going
> to be faced with having to evenly disperse the light inside the
> structure
> again for optimal plant growth. I'd love to know how they accomplish
> that.

Claude replies:
I don't know either, but I did see a glazing product at the Greenbuild
Expo I attended that did a great job of dispersing light.... Can't
think of the name off hand and it was super expensive...

> I've been in passive solar greenhouses with slanted sunwards glazing
> and
> insulated roofs and polewards walls. These are fine for home
> production, but

Yes, I was thinking small scale.... I understand that these new solar
tubes work quite well at dispersing light but have not actually seen
them in operation.... They are affordable....

> Excessive humidity leads to disease
> problems such as mildews and fungi.

John Cruikshank's greenhouse design in which warm air is circulated
through the soil is quite ingenious... His greenhouse is built up
against a straw bale wall  - pretty strong evidence that it's
working....this I have seen in operation and was amazed...

Also, I am also amazed that while there are little hobby greenhouses
and big commercial versions, there are no attached-to-the-home
functional sustainable greenhouses.... a real niche here ! especially
since another way to "control" humidity is to funnel it into our
winter-dried homes...

Claude